5 Effective Ways to Improve Your Bible Study and a Video

by IFEOMA SAMUEL
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2Timothy 2:15
At the start of my week, I worry that I may not find sufficient time to dig into the scriptures. Like you friends, I also have this concern. Our busy schedule may not provide us with sufficient time to improve upon our bible study. It all boils down to one question.

How can we improve our Bible Study Habits?

(This article was first published by my favorite blogging friends Jennifer Bly on her blog Deliberate Mom.)

I have five suggestions to improve your Bible study. Here they are:

PRAY AND GET SERIOUS ABOUT IT.

Sounds familiar? Maybe. But until we take our spiritual lives seriously no one can help us. You probably have written this in your New Year’s resolution a dozen times already.

But have you prayed about it? The Holy Spirit is our helper. We can draw close to Him with His help (John14:26). The next time you feel you are drowning in the pressure of life, pray for the comforter to help you through.

PLAN.

What study plan can you adopt? You can use a devotional or a Bible study plan to help you navigate the Bible with ease.

Sometimes, I study with specific keywords. For example, using a keyword like “healing” or “faith” or “holiness” will aid your in-depth study.

Using a concordance, reference bibles or Internet Bible sources like Bible Gateway can be a great help too.

PREPARE TIME.

Fighting for the time, in most cases, is our biggest challenge.

So, what is your best time in the day?

A busy momma with a spouse and kids and work commitments may find it easier to have devotions in the early hours of the day. Rise before the kids do. There is so much wisdom in rising early (Psalm 63:1).

Late night after an exhaustive day may not work because your body and mind need to rest. So maybe you should stick to getting up earlier.

PEN-IT-DOWN.

Aha! This is my key principle. Choosing to journal our thoughts on the scriptures helps us in six ways:

• helps with memorising scriptures
  • helps you remember where and what you read last
  • helps you reflect
  • reduces the effect of distractions during Bible study time (you can locate where you stopped before the distraction)
  • you can draw up a list of life applications of a particular scripture.
  • you can write up prayer points too

PROCLAIM.

I cherish this strategy a lot. The more we share what we have studied, the more we grow and improve too. How can you share? Have a Bible study partner, such as your spouse, a friend, or colleague. When you talk about what you learnt, you remember with greater ease.

To add some perk, I share a Home Video on this article. Please take a listen Here

Comment Prompt: How do you do your Bible Study? What challenges do you experience in
your Bible Study and how have you been able to overcome them?

By His Great Grace,

Ifeoma Samuel

You may also like

16 comments

Karen Del Tatto August 7, 2015 - 9:06 pm

Ifeoma, Thank you so much for sharing these insights. This has been a struggle for me, especially in the season I find myself with a house full of people, which is such a blessing, my work and blogging.

I recently started using the Proverbs 31 First 5 app and I LOVE it!! It has been such a great way to delve into scripture and to even record my thoughts through question prompts. It has been a wonderful way to start my day.

I used to get hung up on reading at least an entire chapter of a book every day, and although that would be ideal, in this season, I am finding that I am actually retaining more and reflecting more through the First 5 app in the few verses that they are discussing.

I loved your suggestions to pen it down and to proclaim it! Basically employing the different learning styles.

It's always a blessing to visit you. 🙂

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 12, 2015 - 7:31 am

Dear Karen, I read your comment was unable to write a reply soonest, no thanks to my PC.

You have echoed the hearts of many women too. We are too occupied .

However I will check out the app you suggested my dear friend and I am sure other would also benefit from it.

Thank you for your continued support and kindest comments.

God Bless Karen

Michele Morin August 11, 2015 - 11:07 am

Important topic!
Following the link over to finish the essay!

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 12, 2015 - 7:44 am

Thanks Michelle aways good to see you.
God Bless

Betsy Cruz August 11, 2015 - 1:49 pm

Important topic, Ifeoma. I'm hopping over there now. 🙂

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 12, 2015 - 7:44 am

Thank you Betsy.
God Bless

Carol Bovee August 11, 2015 - 9:32 pm

I followed the link and enjoyed your suggestions – God bless!

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 12, 2015 - 7:45 am

Thabnk you Carol.
Many Blessings to you

Hazel Moon August 11, 2015 - 11:39 pm

For now I find reading the scriptures each morning on my E-Sword bible, fits my schedule. My devotions that arrive by e-mail give me insight into other portions of God's word. Thank you for your suggestions and the video shared with us here at Tell me a Story.

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 12, 2015 - 7:49 am

Excellent!, I use eSword too. And Bible Gateway when I am online.
Thank you Aunt Hazel. I love that you join the discussion.
God Bless

Hazel Moon August 18, 2015 - 9:27 pm

In addition to reading my Bible each morning on E-Sword, I have began to copy and paste the chapter on Face Book. Today was Hebrews chapter two. My niece commented the posts helped her to remember to read her Bible. Thanks for sharing at Tell me a Story.

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 19, 2015 - 12:06 pm

Hello Aunt Hazel, I like e-sword too. It is a good resource.
Great idea sharing on Facebook.
I look forward to reading your opinions on the blog posts.
God bless you

Hazel Moon August 18, 2015 - 9:28 pm

I use Gateway for research – it is so convenient and great !!

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 19, 2015 - 12:07 pm

Coincidentally, I use gateway too!
thanks Aunt Hazel.

Tiffany Parry August 19, 2015 - 7:24 am

Great tips, Ifeoma. I often get waylaid on preparing time because it seems far and few between these days. I'm so grateful that God takes what we have and multiplies it!

IFEOMA SAMUEL August 19, 2015 - 12:11 pm

Hello Tiffany, many a woman would agree that it can be difficult sometimes getting enough time.
Thank you for joining the discussion friend.
Sweet blessings to you