1 Samuel 1-5 (Study Summary)
These five chapters hold important life lessons.
Gleaning upon the reflections from the group, find them listed below;
- Sometimes even spiritual people may not understand your plight. Your words about your situation may hold no meaning to other well-meaning believers. In other words, it is ok if you are misunderstood sometimes like Eli did. God knows your situation.
- Hannah continued to press on. She came to Shiloh yearly. She didnt give up on God. She did not abadon the place of worship. Your situation should draw you closer to God and not the other way around. God gave Hannah even more children!
Her songs in thanksgiving are beautiful. The show the contents of her heart and how deep her joy was. When we are thankful for one God gives us more.
- Hannah’s desperation for a child did not stand in the way of her willing to give it all back to God. This reminds us of Abraham who was willing to give Isaac when he was tested!
Ponder On this: Can you want something so much and yet be willing to lose it?
- We dishonour the Lord when we let what He has given us stand between us and Him. Eli chose his sons over the Lord. This cost his generation their long-time covenant with God.
Examine your life. Look for everything that is hindering your wholehearted worship.
Ponder on This: What is standing between you and God?
- 1 Samuel 3 introduces a fervent and efficient boy who served in the courts but the Bible says He did not know God nor His Word.
It is possible to serve in God’s Kingdom and not know Him. The word of God was not revealed to Samuel yet.
- The sin of negligence on the part of Eli was going to yield disaster. Eli took no firm action against the sins of his sons. He remained complacent.
Ponder On this: Are you serving God knowledgably?
Do you know the Lord?
What is your response to God’s Word in your life?
- Be careful who is leading you spiritually. The young men were still in place of spritual leadership. These sinful young men were in possession of God’s ark. The ark represents the presence of God. Light and darkness don’t meet.
You cant possess your vessel with dishonour and expect the Lord to be resident in your life.
Ponder on this: How do you possess your vessel?
Take away every garment of sin before you approach His presence. Let us ask the Lord for mercy today.
The sin of these young men would cost many their lives! Never go out to war without God else it will be a blood bath.
- Our God would fight His battles, Amen. The mistake the Philistines made was thinking God was comparable to their idols.
Dagon fell faced down. He bowed to the Lord Almighty! That same way every situation challenging you would bow in Jesus name.
Here are some key prayers we made during the course of our study:
****Prayers for the Women Desiring Fruitfulness****
May be you have been to Shiloh for several years, may be your soul weeps and you feel like giving up, I know I have been and I have some challenges right now that feels this way. I believe God that showed up at Shiloh for Hannah would answer for us in Jesus name, Amen.
Dear Jesus we pray for every woman looking up to you for babies or maybe it is someone we know Lord please Jesus let there be a divine remembrance. Just like you did for Hannah, let wombs be opened in Jesus name. To you be all the glory!
*Prayers for Husbands añd future husbands***
1 Samuel 1:3 And this man went up out of his city yearly to worship and to sacrifice unto the LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were there.
Dear Lord, grant our men and boys the heart to worship you.
1 Samuel 1:5 But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb.
Dear Lord, grant me favour before my husband. Let there be pure Love in our marriages in Jesus name.
***Prayers for you***
Father , help me to honour you with my all. Let nothing come between me and you Lord. May my kids, my job, my hubby, home pursuit, my all never become a hindrance to honouring you. Instead Lord I give them back to you use them for your glory in Jesus name. Amen.
Dear Jesus, I don’t want to serve in the Kingdom without actually knowing you. Reveal yourself to me. Father, show me your Word. Your Word is precious. Teach me and instruct me in your righteousness in Jesus Name.
The ark represents the presence of the Lord. Dear Jesus, let your presence never depart from my life in Jesus Name.
***Prayers for your children***
Dear Lord, teach our children to fear you. Let them honour you with the whole of their hearts. May they find Favor before you Jesus and before men. Raise them up Lord and may they be found faithful sons and daughters in Jesus name. Amen
With humility the child Samuel didn’t rashly speak with the old priest despite the impending doom. Despite God’s call upon his life the boy child humbled himself.
Dear Lord, give my children the Spirit of humility. Let them recognise spiritual authority and walk in wisdom.
The Bible says the child Samuel grew, the Lord was with Him and He found favour before God and men. 1 Samuel 3:19
Dear Jesus, make our children grow before you. Let your presence never leave them. May they continually find favor before you and before men in Jesus name.
Dear Lord, let the words they utter before you not fall to the ground. Let their words be pure and their conversations be holy before you.
Jesus just the way you revealed yourself to the boy child Samuel, reveal yourself to our children. May they be found in you in Jesus Name. Amen
Hophni and Phinehas not only destroyed themselves, the destroyed their family and the nation…The sin of neglect on the part of Eli cost Israel 30 000 foot men…
Dear Jesus, in any way I have neglected my children through my decisions and indecisions have mercy on me and show me quickly where I have failed. Lord , let my children never bring shame to my face. May they be children of great honour. Put your word in the heart of my children in Jesus Name.
Lord every time I hear a report about my kids may it be good news, testimony and goodness worth celebrating in Jesus name. May my children never be a source of sorrow to me or my family. Lord make them channel of blessings in Jesus Name. Amen.